Greater Connecticut Youth Orchestras is seeking applicants for a Woodwinds Instructor position. Qualified individuals from backgrounds traditionally under-represented in classical music are strongly encouraged to apply.
Instructors and coaches work closely with the Music Director and Conductors of the orchestras in the program to support students both musically and technically during each of our concert cycles. The Woodwinds Instructor will lead a small intensive woodwinds group for younger and less experienced musicians and also act as Woodwinds Coach for Principal Orchestra, the highest level full orchestra at GCTYO.
Greater Connecticut Youth Orchestras is located in Fairfield, Connecticut. Rehearsals are most Saturday mornings during the school year (except vacation days). At least 3 concerts per year are performed in November, early March, and May. Read our Mission, DEI Statement, and more about GCTYO here: https://gctyo.org. Also on Facebook and Instagram.
– Conduct weekly Saturday morning sectional rehearsals from September through mid-May
– 2 hours of intensive woodwinds instruction with less experienced players
– 1 hour of coaching advanced woodwinds
– Attend, assist, and conduct at 3 concerts per year
– Communicate with conductors and Music Director and establish effective rehearsal plans
– Attend staff meetings and occasional professional development workshops
– Communicate with Executive Director
– Give one-on-one lessons to students as needed
– Participate in GCTYO’s ongoing work on diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
– Ability to establish the highest standards of music performance, while being supportive, understanding, and approachable
– A demonstrated appreciation for and understanding of the needs of both beginning and advanced woodwind musicians
– A demonstrated appreciation for and understanding of the needs of high performing students
– Demonstrated success in teaching woodwind techniques and methods
Greater Connecticut Youth Orchestras (GCTYO) brings young musicians together to achieve the highest standard of music performance in a welcoming, inclusive, and safe environment. Our holistic approach to education fosters growth, learning, confidence, and both social and emotional awareness, which prepares students for a full and balanced life. The study and performance of great music in an ensemble setting can be a transformative experience for young musicians, and the skills they learn as part of a GCTYO ensemble—teamwork, perseverance and responsibility—carry over into all areas of their lives.
GCTYO instructors are both professional musicians and music educators who are tuned in to educational best practices and child development. They bring out the best in each student by challenging them to work hard as individuals and members of a group. Musicians feel engaged by the process and supported by their conductors and peers. The result is a positive, exciting learning experience with clear, measurable musical and social progress through the years.
GCTYO strives for diversity and inclusivity in an environment that is both fun and musically challenging. Through rehearsals and ...formal performances, young musicians gain valuable experience and an important sense of achievement and self-confidence while fostering lifelong friendships and a love of music. Rehearsals are held in Fairfield and at least three performances each season are given at The Klein in Bridgeport. Additional concerts may be held at other venues. GCTYO maintains a robust financial assistance program so that all students who want to can participate.
GCTYO Principal Orchestra musicians are able to play full-length concert programs of classical music. Most students do not have access to this level of music in their school orchestras or even other youth orchestras. GCTYO is ahead of the curve in challenging its advanced students to perform difficult music usually reserved for college or professional orchestras. Musicians take great pride in their performances and feel good about bringing music to the community. Watch and listen to a concert here. [https://vimeo.com/499019318]
GCTYO is committed to advancing equity in its program through a wider range of musical programming, increasing the diversity of its staff and board, and being sensitive and responding to the needs of our students.