The Northeastern Athletics video department is looking for a video professional to assist in all video efforts related to Northeastern University's Athletic Department. This position is a 11-month internship (not designed for school credit).
The video team at Northeastern Athletics is responsible for streaming/broadcasting live sporting events on and off NU's campus. The video team also creates digital content for a variety of platforms such as in-arena digital displays, and social media channels. The video team works closely with the communications and marketing departments to build the brand of the Northeastern Huskies and enhance the in-game experience for every fan who attends a northeastern athletic event.
We are looking for someone with a strong work-ethic and a desire for good storytelling, who loves being part of a team and leading by example. The Video Producer will play a key role on this dynamic team, assisting with all video efforts including multi-camera live sports broadcasts, in-house videoboard production and post-production content for online distribution. This role is designed to give an individual a chance to hone his or her skills in a control room/production truck and to give them experience taking ownership of a live sports broadcast - from both a technical and storyline standpoint. This role also provides a platform to work with top-notch, Division-1 student athletes to create an impressive production reel in a wide variety of digital fields.
Assignments vary week to week depending on the NU athletics calendar and event schedule, but the position will average out to roughly 40 hours per week. The video producer will gain valuable experience in field production at various athletic venues serving all roles of a gameday production staff (Director, Producer, Technical Director, Camera, Graphics, Replay Operator). In addition, the video producer will often serve as the main engineer for many production setups and will be responsible for signal transmission as well as maintenance of all video equipment. During the week (when not working on live broadcasts) the video producer will prep for live broadcast responsibilities and work on editing projects as well as other assignments.
Total Hours: 40+/week (August 2022 - June 2023)
By the end of the internship the Video Producer will have gained hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Handling all aspects of a live sports production
- Teaching, leading and instructing a production team
- Running an in-arena digital show at a 3,500-seat sports venue
- Working with local media outlets and community members to build and enhance a brand
- Planning, shooting, editing and distributing compelling sports-related video content
- Traveling with a D-1 athletic team to high-profile sporting events at professional venues
- Experience filming live sports
- Experience with digital video editing (Adobe Premiere preferred)
- Strong sports knowledge/background
- Positive attitude and ability to receive feedback openly
- Passion for strong and compelling storytelling
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously in deadline-driven environment
- Ability to problem solve creatively and think critically in fast-paced environment
- Ability to lead a team of 4-12 students and freelance production assistants on gameday
- Ability to work occasional 12+ hours in a day as well as willingness to work nights and weekends
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and After Effects
- Experience working with the Athletic video or communications departments at an NCAA Member school or other sports organization
- Experience leading a team and teaching video skills
- Experience directing and/or producing a live show
- Experience taking ownership over complex video projects or video series
- Experience working with in-venue AV/Video production crew or in a production truck
- Experience with Newtek Tricaster and 3play system
- Experience shooting sports on a DSLR camera
- Experience in lighting and recording audio in different environments
- Enjoys brainstorming new and creative ideas that generate excitement amongst sports fans
- Passion for keeping up with industry standards in video production technology and social media content trends
- Valid Driver License preferred
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.