I. Purpose: The purpose of this position is to provide support to club sport officers and participants.
II. Essential Duties: (The tasks, duties, and responsibilities that are essential to the work of the position) Note: The intent of this list of duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based on departmental needs.
III. Experience: Preferred 2+ years of coaching experience at varsity high school level or higher OR previous experience playing at a competitive level (includes varsity and club)
1. Basic Responsibilities Develop and improve participant sport skills Attend and supervise a majority of games and practices, including evenings and weekends Abide by all University/Club Sport rules and regulations, including the Club Sport Handbook Promote good sportsmanship on and off the ice Submit Weekly Timesheets Communicate with Associate Director of Club Sports as needed on issues associated with the club or any of its participants. These issues include, but are not limited to: o Travel o Injuries o Equipment o Administrative tasks and responsibilities
2. Team-Specific Responsibilities Communicate with club officers to establish and achieve team goals Provide support to club sport officers and participants as needed Allow students to take on as much responsibility in the administration of the club as possible Adhere to the travel guidelines set forth by the Department of Transportation and Parking and the Department of Recreational Sports when accompanying the club to off-campus matches and events Able to work with captains / e-board to maintain vision of team set by team/admin and bring team to their desired goals Maintain fun, yet competitive environment Ability to create drills and run practices effectively with emphasis on developing player skills and attention to goalies as well as skaters Attend and supervise a majority of games and practices, including evenings and weekends Note that practice times tend to be later in the evening, and may not be at Matthews facilities Preferred knowledge of USA Hockey and ACHA rules and regulations
3. Risk Management Responsibilities Ensure safety of participants and monitor environmental (field/court/playing surfaces) conditions Ensure that Injury Reports are completed for each injury and are given to Assistant Director of Club Sports within 24 hours Ensure proper warm-up/stretching for student-athletes prior to practice or competition
4. Other Duties Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned to meet the goals and mission requirements of the University, Recreation, and the Club Sport Program. Cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
5. Skills High-level knowledge of the game Communication Accountability Adaptability Organization III. Supervision Received: The position functions under the general supervision of the Assistant Athletic Director of Club Sports.
IV. Supervision Exercised: The position supervises all Women's Club Hockey participants.
V. Physical Requirements: Work may involve the performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined space, and lifting or carrying moderately heavy items, up to 75 lbs. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements such as chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations, or dampness, where work exposes the employee to potentially non-disabling injuries. Duties may require that work be performed in adverse weather conditions. Work may require exposure to dangerous equipment and machinery requiring the use of protective clothing or gear
Documents to Submit: Resume and Cover Letter
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.