· Tuition up to 18 hours per year (including summer), plus $13.08/hr up to 24 hours per week (Approx. $1,250/mo.). Individuals accepted into an Accelerated Online graduate program are not eligible for a graduate assistant position. Position is under contract for one academic year with option for renewal. Desire to obtain full-time employment in the ticketing profession preferred.
Review of applicants will begin immediately.
Reporting to the Director of Sports Performance, the Sports Performance Graduate Assistant is responsible for providing expertise, guidance, and training in strength training and physical conditioning for assigned sports. Compliance with NCAA rules is of the utmost importance at Northern Kentucky University. As a member of the athletics department staff it is expected that the Sports Performance Graduate Assistant will have a full understanding of the NCAA rules that pertain to the position. It is also expected that the Sports Performance Graduate Assistant will comply with all NCAA rules and if he/she becomes aware, or have reasonable cause to believe, that a violation of a rule has occurred he/she will immediately report it to the Director of Athletics or his/her designee.
Regular Duties · Directly responsible for the development of 2-3 Olympic sport teams · Assist with the development and implementation of strength training programs for 10 Olympic sport teams · Assist with the creation and direction of sport-specific speed, quickness and agility workouts · Assist sport coaches with recruiting · Assist with the hiring and supervising of student interns · Supervise and upkeep of the weight room · Maintain strength equipment, wearable technology for athlete monitoring · Collaborate with the Sport Science Research department · Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Must be accepted into an NKU graduate program and enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours, maintaining a 3.0 GPA or better
· Prior strength and conditioning experience and a desire to continue in the field of strength and conditioning for enhanced sport performance
· CPR/First Aid Certification required
· Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) by the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa), and/or the Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA) is required
· Experience in a Division I athletic department; basic nutrition education; experience effectively using Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel and Zoom programs
· Desire to obtain full-time employment in the sports performance profession preferred
Northern Kentucky University is a growing metropolitan university of approximately 15,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky, just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati, NKU has become a leader in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost. While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students’ names. In fall 2018, we celebrated the construction and opening of the $105 million Health Innovation Center (HIC), home of NKU’s College of Health Professionals and the Institute for Health Innovation. St. Elizabeth Healthcare invested $8 million to construct and equip the two-story Simulation Center. In 2008, we opened the BB&T Arena, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events, as well as our $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building.
The 2016-17 academic year marked the first season NKU was eligible for participation in NCAA Championships after reclassifying to Division I. The Norse qualified for th...e NCAA Women's Soccer Championship and NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2016-17. The Men's Basketball team won the 2017-18 regular season Horizon League Championship and participated in the post-season NIT. The Men's Basketball team won the 2018-19 regular season Horizon League Championship and participated in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.